Racine man in trouble after pointing gun at process server

Filed under: Local News |

Tyrone WilliamsTODAYS TMJ4 is reporting that Tyrone Williams said he had no idea who was peering in his windows and banging at his door around seven in the morning on a Sunday.

“I felt threatened for my family, so I grabbed my fire arm,” said Williams. Williams is a licensed gun owner and concealed carry weapon permit holder.

“I slide the slide back, ‘Can I help you?’ and he throws his hands up,” said Williams.

Williams did not know the man at the door was there to serve him court papers. The process server decided to press charges, claiming Williams pointed his gun at him. Something Williams denies.

“I just don’t get how I got prosecuted and then have to spend six months in jail just for someone saying that I did,” said Williams.

Williams did not testify at his trial. Attorney Craig Mastantuono believes this may have been a bad decision.

“If his accuser has falsely accused him,” Mastantuono said, “then he is vulnerable to that accusation particularly when he chooses not to testify.”

A decision Williams now regrets.

Mastantuno has a warning for other ccw holder faces with the same dilemma.

“A c-c-w license does not grant holder the right to use their gun in a way that would run a fowl of other laws.”

For the Video interview and more visit TODAYS TMJ4

10 Responses to Racine man in trouble after pointing gun at process server

1. Maybe Williams was wrong if he did point the gun at the man yet if it were me I’m not sure I wouldn’t have reacted in a similar fashion. How many of us react positively to a stranger pounding on our door and/or looking in our window on a Sunday morning? Thinking about it, in hindsight, Williams should have called the police and stayed put inside his home without even opening the door.

shaft
    08/17/2013 at 4:56 pm

2. So what was he being served papers for anyway? Maybe that’s the reason he felt the need to pull the gun out.

speaking frankly
    08/17/2013 at 9:40 pm

3. Comments like this is why I rarely comment myself anymore.

shaft
    08/18/2013 at 8:40 am

4. This is my opinion and doesn’t necessarily reflect the opinion of the website. In this day and age with crime (in Racine) people have a right to own guns, open carry, conceal carry and our constitutional rights assure that. I spoke with process servers and those in the field told me that they would never peek in windows or act in a manner like that. That process server by doing so acted in a suspicious manner and many people I know would have done the same thing. The party denies pointing it at him. I would appeal the case too and I would also have taken the stand, the state had the burden of proof that he actually pointed it at the process server. I would like to know if the process server was ticketed for peeking in windows?

racineuncovered
    08/18/2013 at 9:32 am

5. I do Process Serving almost everyday in Racine.
    When I do…I am wearing a bullet proof vest, as my outer garment. My Proper State Credentials hanging around my neck(was he even wearing any?) Depending on the situation I will also wear my badge in plan sight and my firearm strapped to my leg, so it is Open carry.
    Everyone reacts different when served, and depends on the case. Is it a divorce, small claims court, judgement, eviction? Have had people pull shotguns on me….or they might offer me a drink. Each case is one of a kind and should be treated as such. I love it when the subject calls the police, then they answer the door and make my job easier. Just my 2 cents.

And with this being on his home property…CCW dose NOT apply here. Anyone can be armed on their property no license required.

TacOps Shadow
    08/18/2013 at 4:04 pm

6. THIS IS MY FIRST COUSIN… HE IS A HARD
    WORKING HONEST MAN WHO HAS NEVER
    BEEN IN ANY TROUBLE WITH THE LAW
    EVER!! HE IS A GREAT FATHER TOO HIS CHILDREN
    AND HE IS ALSO A BLUNT ABD STRAIGHT
    FORWARD MAN. SO IF HE SAY HE DIDNT
    POINT HIS GUN AT ANYONE THEN HE DIDNT.
    FROM DAY ONE THE STATE WANTED JAIL

OR FAMILY WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT
    OF HAVING A GUN… ME PERSONALLY
    I WOULD’VE SHOT FIRST AND ASKED QUESTIONS
    LATER.

Fefe Williams
    08/23/2013 at 10:38 pm

8. I rent to Tyrone and he has always been an honorable straight up kind of guy. This may have been a mistake on his or the servers part but it should not have gone this far.I am a 60 year old white guy with many experences with people over the years. I think Tyr2one is a good guy.

Bryan Lorentzen
    08/27/2013 at 7:52 am

9. Sorry for the typo. Its Tyrone

Bryan Lorentzen
    08/27/2013 at 7:54 am

10. Based on talking with people, the majority think that Tyrone was within his rights and shouldn’t be serving jail time. In addition many people said they would have done the same thing if someone was looking in their windows

racineuncovered
    08/27/2013 at 7:57 am

You must be logged in to post a comment Login