According to a written release from SSFD, both departments responded at 12:20 p.m. to the condominium building at 5624 Cambridge Lane. An interior fire was already well underway, and heavy black smoke issued from the unit.
The female occupant of the condo was helped out of her home by neighbors before fire fighters arrived, but her dog remained in the unit. Fire fighters were able to locate and rescue the dog. After giving the dog oxygen, it was given to family members at the scene.
There were no civilian injuries reported, but two fire fighters suffered injuries while fighting the fire. They did not have to go to the hospital.
Something was left cooking too long on the stove, and that is believed to be what started the blaze. Fire fighters had the fire under control about 10 minutes after their arrival, but damage from smoke and fire left the unit uninhabitable. Damages are estimated at $20,000.
For more on this and additional news visit the Mount Pleasant PatchShare on Facebook